Colterris Tasting Room
COLTERRIS TASTING ROOM
Colterris is located in Palisade on Colorado's beautiful and picturesque Western Slope. The Grand Valley AVA, specifically East Orchard Mesa, produce wine grapes high in quality and distinction. The favorable meso-climate of the vineyard locations, volcanic soils of the towering Grand Mesa backdrop and the waters of the mighty Colorado River contribute to the rich color, intense fruit flavors and character that make Colterris wines unique.
Some interesting facts:
- 19.22 acres in East Orchard Mesa on 36 5/8 Road, Palisade, Colorado purchased in April 2008.
- 16.0 acres planted in April, May, & June 2001.
- Cabernet Sauvignon on certified rootstock purchased from Sonoma Grapevines
(same clones as planted by Opus One):
- 10300 Clone 7 vines
- 3000 Clone 24 vines
- 2900 Clone 337 vines
- 2900 Clone 4 vines
- 1260 Clone 2 vines
- 340 Clone 5197 vines
- Vines professionally planted and maintained by Tony Fernandez, vineyard manager for High Country Orchards, LLC. Tony has over 35 years experience in viticultural in the Napa Valley, California.
- Full microspray 15 zone irrigation system installed for 2002 growing season drawing water with the Orchard Mesa Irrigation District from senior water rights dating to 1907.
- Three Phase power extended to the property in the of Spring 2002.
- Two wind machines on property to cover entire acreage.
- A 2003 vintage Cabernet Sauvignon from this vineyard won a GOLD MEDAL at the Colorado Mountain Winefest (159 wines entered).
- Approximately 1050 cases were produced in 2008 and expected 2009 vintage to be approximately the same.
- Future vineyard expansion to include 3 acres of Sauvignon Blanc & Semillon in 2011.
- All wine aged in French barrels (250 new and used)